Ah it’s that time of the year again.. Mmmmh !
It’s Saturday morning, we are in our little apartment in Cittadella (IT) and it’s smelling delicious. But what’s that smell ? And why does it look like “a snowman” asked Edoardo..
Well, it’s the famous “Cougnou, Cougnolle, Coquille de Noël, Pain de Jesus”. It has various names according to the location.
In Belgium, bakers create (years and years ago) a Christmas pastry that’s reminiscent of the shape of the baby Jesus (more than a snowman…) !
The bread of Jesus is a sweet bread made with milk, flour, eggs, yeast, sugar. You can add toppings such as pearl sugar, chocolate, caramel, raisins, etc.
Do you out there have a specific recipe to share ??
I tried to revisited (less sweet, less fat) and it was good ! But you know.. Once a year, you deserve to threat yourself with kindness and a real, tasty and good cougnou.
The recipe (for about 3-4 Jesus Bread)
Total Time : 2 hours
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- 185 grams of milk (I used almond and coco)
- 100 (50) grams of butter (I personally cut the quantity in two) !
- 2 eggs
- 80 (40) grams of sugar (I personally cut the quantity in two)!
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 500 grams of flour (I used whole wheat but the real recipe is made of refined white flour)
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- Put 185 grams of milk, 100 (50) grams of butter cut into pieces, 2 eggs, 80 (40) grams of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 500 grams of flour and 1 packet of yeast into a large bowl and knead until the dough is formed
- Cut the dough in two equal pieces. The dough will be cut again in 3 balls (2 small and 1 big). You can now add toppings (chocolate, sugar pearls, caramel, raisins, etc.)!
- Over a baking paper, drop 2 small balls at the ends of the big ones (in order to form the little Jesus)
- Reserve at room temperature for about 1 hour 30 min
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Before to bake, brush with egg yolk diluted in a teaspoon of water (to get a golden color)
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes until you get a beautiful golden color
- Set aside until it has cooled down
Merry (soon) Christmas to all of you,
Psssst: in case you want to reduce the amount of sugar and butter, don’t hesitate to cut the quantity in two! It remains super tasty !